Wednesday 4 March 2020

Phrog Texturing

I worked closely with Rory to transform the 2D character designs into a fully-realised 3D model (this gave me a brief idea on the dynamics and roles in a 3D CGI pipeline). And while Rory did the majority of the work, (he modelled, rigged, unwrapped and displacement-mapped the Phrog, while I used the unwrapped geometry to create the base texture), I got a better understanding of texturing a complex 3D rig.

Unwrapping UV 


I did attempt to use Mudbox to add extra details but I quickly realised that learning a new software might not be time-effective (since I had other projects to work on too). I tried other techniques to add colour to the model (using Maya), and this yielded slightly better results... though still not quite there.

Experimenting with Mudbox tools gave birth to this abomination, which I managed to salvage into a meme.

I downloaded a few, free 3D frog model to use as a test and learnt about the whole process. I was only vaguely familiar with this method from video games and the 'skins' in them. 
Test 1 failed spectacularly, partly because the model was a hollow piggy bank (froggy bank?) and because I was too sloppy with the UV cutting and unwrapping. However, this did teach me the basics of using nodes with materials in Maya:


Test 2 was much better since I took the time to carefully cut and unwrap UV (though it could be done better). I learnt to use landmarks in the mesh to make sure features weren't misaligned.


Painting textures 


Since both my computer and I were struggling to get a proper unwrapped UV from simple frogs (let alone an alien one), Rory the resident-3D-wizard kindly unwrapped the Phrog UV for me and I got to work painting it in Photoshop. Here was where I explored a bit more creatively, trying to stay true to the initial character design, but also implementing what I learnt from the frog tests.

Main body textures
Inner mouth textures
I made sure to use reference images as a foundation for a lot of these features while adding/mixing fantastical elements to it. I realised the texturing didn't have to be hyper-realistic, thanks to Rory's displacement map (from Mudbox) doing all the heavy lifting. I simply had to create the illusion of texture, like contouring in makeup to create 'pseudo-textures'.

Some renders of the textured model by Rory
Some hitches along the way, I didn't extend the edges of the UV far enough in some places, resulting in gaps.
Overall, I'm surprised and impressed at how well this process balances the technical and artistic sides, and I look forward to more 3D ventures in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment